Today potentiometric angular position transmitters attain a still more status with regard to the analogue measuring technique as far as high-quality measurement tasks are concerned due to the favourable value for money.
They are mainly used for
- Power braking control elements for railway vehicles as well as ship telegraphs
- Rudder and propeller systems for ships
- Control drives for systems in the field of energy management and chemical industry
- Lifting gears and slewing mechanisms of cranes and excavators
- Tail vanes for meteorological measurements
- As dancer potentiometers for textile and paper machinery
- As well as for measurements in the field of mechanical, apparatus and medical engineering
Potentiometric transmitters have either a high-resolution element of conductive plastic or high-resolution gold or constantan wire with various resistance and angle values.
They are available in various sizes as single-turn or multiple-turn potentiometers or in a multiple design.
For adjustment of the measuring range almost all series can be provided with shorted sections, tappings and function windings.
Some models are available with incorporated signal converter providing current or voltage outputs in configuration of 2, 3 or 4 wires.
To ensure reliability in very dirty atmospheres, oil-filled potentiometers are available.
Moreover, to provide protection for all potentiometers from mechanical damage, dusty and damp industrial atmospheres a series of housings with a protection of the types IP 40 to IP 68 is available; partly to be equipped with gearing and Iimit switches.