HANNOVER MESSE 2019,
01 - 05 April
Alfred Wegener Institut
The complex, irregular lightweight structures of marine planktonic organisms are highly robust towards variable mechanical challenges in their environment. Technically optimized structures, on the other hand, are often susceptible to failure if load cases differ from those used in the optimization process. Thus, the application of biologically inspired structures has a high potential to improve robustness of lightweight structures, which is a big advantage under variable load or impact conditions.
• Investigate the robustness of natural structures and understand how structures are optimized towards high robustness at low mass
• Develop structural principles to generate robust lightweight design structures
• Integrate these structural principles into a software for generative engineering
Bionics - Engineering powered by nature
Investigation of natural vibrations and lightweight design potential of different lattice and honeycomb structures
This project investigates to which extent bio-inspired ...
Plankton forms the basis of the food chain in pelagic ecosystems.
Many planktonic organisms have distinct, highly specialized forms that have evolved over the course ...
- AWI cooperates closely with ELISE GmbH, which in turn is a spin-off of the institute.
- ELISE focuses on software development in the field of Generative Engineering.
Development of a modular sample inlet system for sensors by bionic structure optimization and additive manufacturing.
Established sample inlet systems with low ...
The extraordinary forces experienced during rollover accidents call for high performance stiffening structures, especially within the A-pillar of convertibles. The ...
In medical engineering low weight, high stability and air permeability are highly important for orthopedic casts treating bone fractures and other injuries as well ...